Make Up Hours
Make up hours are required for students who have more than 9 absences in a class per semester. These absences may be either unexcused or excused absences (or both). The State of Texas requires that students shall be denied credit for missing more than ten percent of classes even if they are passing the course. However, if a school district has a make up policy, students can gain credit by following the policy. Further, if a student misses more than twenty-five percent (23 or more absences per class), make up hours alone will not suffice. Make up hours plus an appeal to an attendance committee will be required. A good rule of thumb here is that typically only for extreme medical conditions will the committee allow for credit. Unexcused absences are not typically accepted upon appeal.
Below are the guidelines for make up hours at Alamo Heights High School:
- Credit is lost when a student has more than 9 absences (either excused or unexcused) unless made up.
- For every absence over 9, an hour must be made up even if the absence is one that was counted because the student was more than ten minutes late to a class. For example, if a student has 12 absences, three hours must be made up.
- Students make up hours by doing the following academic work in a teacher’s classroom:
- Getting help from a teacher/tutoring
- Working on an assignment
- Making up a quiz or test
- Making up labs
- Students may also make up hours by going to Saturday School on Saturday mornings, which is from 8 a.m. to noon in the ISS room.
- To document their make up work, students must obtain the AHHS Make Up Hours Worksheet also known as the Green Sheet. Below is a PDF of that document and may be used or one may be obtained in the principal’s office. This document needs to be read as the rules are clearly stated. See the Saturday school schedule below.
- Typically, for the first semester, the makeup hour sheet is due at noon on the Saturday after the semester ends. For the second semester, they are typically due at noon on the last day of finals. However, seniors must turn their make up hour sheet in before finals begin so that they will be eligible to walk the stage.
- Every effort will be made to notify students of their need for make up hours. However, it is the responsibility of the student to keep up with their attendance. If there is ever a question, contact your administrator.
AHHS Make Up Hours Worksheet
Saturday School Schedule